Applying for a (Euro) permit at the NIWO

Do you want to start a transport company, a courier or moving company? Then you must first have a transport license (also known as a Euro license). You can apply for this permit at the National and International Road Transport Organization (NIWO) in Rijswijk. To become a license holder, you must meet a number of (qualitative) requirements: reliability, creditworthiness and professional competence. There must also be an actual and sustainable establishment of your company in the Netherlands. Finally, there should not be any application of the Integrity Assessment Promotion Act by the Public Administration (Bibob Act).

Application for a (Euro) permit

If you want to start a transport company, a courier or moving company and start driving for third parties with trucks (including delivery vans) above 500 kg. there is professional goods transport and you must have a (Euro) permit.

Where should I apply for a permit?

The National and International Road Transport Organization (NIWO) in Rijswijk is the licensing organization. The NIWO falls under the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment. The NIWO is a so-called independent administrative body with public-law duties.
NIWO entrepreneur counter
The easiest way to apply for a (Euro) permit is through the niwo entrepreneur counter. Through this entrepreneur counter you can not only apply for a (Euro) permit, but also additional permits, driving authorizations, CEMT permits, VIHB registrations, TIR carnets, etc. You need to apply for a (Euro) permit (or other documents) digitally u use e-Recognition. The e-Recognition is linked to the Chamber of Commerce. This means that the NIWO uses the data as registered at the Chamber of Commerce. If there are changes to your company details, you only have to inform the Chamber of Commerce. You can also apply for a (Euro) permit via a (paper) application form.

What must my (paper) application meet?

Your application for a (Euro) permit must include the following documents:
  • (Digital) application form.
  • Certificate of professional competence (also known as professional diploma).
  • An employment contract (if the transport manager is employed by the license holder) or a management contract (if the transport manager works externally for the license holder.
  • Certificate of good conduct.
  • (Opening) balance sheet or a statement of assets and liabilities, including a statement from a RA or AA accountant, an expert affiliated with the Tax Advisers Register or the NOAB.

Furthermore, an application for a (Euro) permit must be paid in advance. In 2018, a new application will cost EUR 235 plus the costs for the number of license permits you request (EUR 25 per license). A (Euro) permit is valid for five years. The (Euro) license must be renewed every five years. The costs for the renewal amount to EUR 120 plus the costs of a license (EUR 25 per license).

Which requirements are the applications assessed against?

To obtain a (Euro) permit you must meet the following (qualitative) requirements:
  • Professional competence
  • Creditworthiness
  • Reliability
  • Real and sustainable location
  • And there must not be any application of the Bibob law

Requirement of professional competence

The requirement of professional competence is met by submitting a certificate of professional competence (also known as the professional diploma). The professional diploma cannot be obtained from the NIWO. For the professional diploma, an exam must be taken at the CBR, the CCV division. The requirement of professional competence is met by the person who permanently and effectively manages the transport activities of the company. This involves a continuous and substantive involvement. There must be no 'paper' construction.
The transport manager can work for the company on an internal or external basis. As an internal transport manager, he is employed by the permit holder and works on the basis of an employment contract. If a license holder does not have a transport manager, he can also hire a transport manager, the external transport manager. This external transport manager works on the basis of a management agreement. The employment and management contract must in any case include the responsibilities and his duties. He must also receive a reasonable reward for his work. He must also be registered in the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce with a (full) power of attorney for the transport activities of the company.
A transport manager may not contribute his professional competence to more than four companies with a total fleet of 50 vehicles. There is one exception to this. An internal transport manager may introduce professional competence within one company with an unlimited number of vehicles or he may work within different companies that belong to one holding company.

Creditworthiness requirement

In order to meet the creditworthiness requirement, a company must demonstrate that it has sufficient risk-bearing capital. EUR 9,000 must be shown for the first truck and EUR 5,000 for each subsequent truck. The risk-bearing capital is the equity capital, possibly supplemented by a subordinated loan, any surplus values ​​or a bank guarantee.
The company demonstrates its risk-bearing capital by submitting an (opening) balance sheet, an interim balance sheet or the annual figures, possibly with a capital statement if the equity capital should be insufficient. This financial information must be provided with a statement. Only statements issued by a RA or AA accountant, an expert who is affiliated with the Dutch Association of Administration and Tax Experts or the Register of Tax Advisors, are accepted.
If the equity capital is insufficient, a subordinated loan can be used. The subordinated loan must contain the following elements:
  • Name and address details of the lender and borrower.
  • The amount for which the loan has been agreed.
  • The method of a possible early repayment.
  • The interest payment.
  • The period for which the loan was taken out.
  • The subordination of the money loan to all existing and future creditors.


The reliability requirement is met by submitting a (Certificate of Behavior (VOG) not older than two months). A distinction is made between a VOG natural persons (VOG-np) and a VOG legal persons (VOG-rp). If there is a legal person such as a private limited company, but also a general partnership (a general partnership is assimilated to a legal entity under the Road Transport Goods Act), a VOG-rp must be submitted. In a sole proprietorship the owner must provide a VOG-np. If the director of a legal person does not have Dutch nationality, he must submit a VOG-np from the competent foreign organization.

Real and sustainable location

To meet this requirement, your company must have a real and sustainable location in the Netherlands. There must not be a PO box construction. In assessing whether there is an actual and sustainable establishment, the following elements are considered in relation to each other and coherence:
  • The company is registered in the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce.
  • The company has a VAT number.
  • There are documents available at the company that relate to, among other things, personnel policy, driving and rest times, accounting documents, etc.
  • The vehicles are available to the company (through ownership, lease, rent (purchase) or otherwise).
  • The transport activities take place in the Netherlands, among others.
  • The MOT inspection or maintenance is carried out in the Netherlands.

Bibob law

It must be prevented that illegal activities are legalized by granting a (Euro) permit. Application of the Bibob Act tries to prevent this. On the basis of this law, it is assessed whether there is a certain degree of danger that the license will be used for criminal activities. This may also include suspicion that criminal offenses are or have been committed.

Key lock

Before you start a transport company, courier or removal company, you must first arrange for a transport permit or a Euro permit. The NIWO assesses whether you meet the relevant (qualitative) requirements: professional competence, reliability and creditworthiness. There must also be an actual and sustainable establishment of your company in the Netherlands and there must not be any application of the Bibob Act. Once you meet this requirement, the NIWO will decide on your application within a maximum of eight weeks. Practice shows that the decision period even lies on a few days. You can then quickly get started as a transport company.

Video: Omgevingsvergunning bij verbouwen deel 1: Aanvragen (February 2020).

Leave Your Comment